You are here


Frequently Asked Questions:

What special arrangements are there for provision of care and protection to Ffriends that are younger than 18 years old?

  • Where there are concerns of abuse or inappropriate behaviour involving Ffriends that are younger than 18 years old, these should be referred to the specialist skills of the Child Protection Committee initially by contacting a Child Protection Contact Friend.

Why would I raise my concerns of abuse rather than just ignore it or leave it alone?

  • By raising our concerns with one another, or reporting any serious incident, we contribute to our own strength, confidence and self-respect.  We also offer an opportunity to others to learn about what they do and the effect of their behaviour on others.
  • We may prevent others from being similarly offended or distressed, by contributing to a change in behaviour or a change in how our Meetings support our Members.
  • We hope that the outcome will be to achieve a greater level of understanding between us about the effect our behaviour has on others,  We also hope that our Meetings are always 'places of becoming' - continuing to 'become' as places of love, support, care and acceptance of and for one another.  We all hope for and practice this as part of our desire to create environments of mutual respect for ourselves and for one another.

What options may be considered in resolving an issue?

Options that may be considered include:

  • Keeping a diary of incidents.
  • Asking someone you trust to be your support person.
  • Confidentially talking to other people to see if they are also experiencing similar disrespectful behaviours.
  • Speaking to the person involved and objecting firmly but politely as a simple way to nip inappropriate behaviour in the bud.
  • Writing to the person/s involved indicating how their behaviour has impacted on you.
  • Speaking to someone within Quakers such as an Elder, Overseer, a respected Friend you trust or a SQC Contact Friend.
  • Asking for mediation.
  • Making a formal complaint.
  • Speaking to someone outside your environment e.g. Human Rights & Equal Opportunity Commission, the Anti-Discrimination Commission, a lawyer.
  • Using a mediation service or advocacy service.
  • Seeking medical advice