Abuse and unsafe situations and/or behaviours may be physical, verbal, visual or written, including use of emails and the Internet. They are often repeated, although if serious, only one incident is enough to be acted upon. Some conduct may not be abusive at first, but if the person initiating it continues the behaviour after being asked to stop, it may become harassment, bullying or abuse.
Abuse may take many forms including:
- Misuse of power
- Inappropriate Physical Incidents
- Inappropriate Verbal Incidents
- Inappropriate Visual Materials
- arrange a suitable, private and uninterrupted meeting place.
- explain the contact Friend role to you
- establish mutual expectations of confidentiality
- explain the process
- listen actively to the details of the incident
- discuss options with you
- assist you to decide a course of action and,
- assist you to put your plan into action in a timeframe you feel comfortable with
- follow up with you on how you are going
You can find a list of the Safe Quaker Community Contact Friends in each Regional Meeting, with all contact details here. (This is found at the bottom of the Regional Meeting Resources page.)