Image: Ann Zubrick, Presiding Clerk, by Elizabeth PO'
Public statements are made on behalf of Quakers in Australia and signed by the Presiding Clerk. A public statement is a formal position that Friends take on contemporary issues that reflect or intersect with our concerns.
This is done in consultation with the AYM Secretary, who normally has received a draft statement from either a Yearly Meeting session, an AYM committee or a Regional Meeting.
Public Statements 2020
- October 2020 - Letter to Prime Minister re: Concern for Wellbeing of Asylum Seekers
- September 2020 - Letter to PM and Opposition Leader re: Government's Increased Military Defence Spending
- September 2020 - Letter to PM and Opposition Leader re: concern for people in immigration detention falling through the safety net during COVID-19
- September 2020 - Letter to the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition about Australian Quakers' concern re: the pressures on democracy and social cohesion caused by the COVID-19 pandemic
- August 2020 - Alarm over nuclear weapons threat
- July 2020 - Quakers write to Western Australian Premier Mark McGowan, Foreign Minister Marise Payne and others concerning the destruction of the significant rock shelters located in Juukan Gorge, Hammersley Ranges.
- June 2020 - Quakers write to Northern Territory's Chief Minister to express deep concerns over the police practice of transportating children, unrestrained, in police cages
- February 2020 - Quakers Australia's Presiding Clerk joins with other faith leaders to sign open letter to Prime Minister urging climate justice, in campaign organised by ARRCC
- January 2020 - Urge government to support ruling of International Court of Justice in relation to the Rohingya people of Myanmar
Public Statements 2019
- December 2019 - Concern over signficant decline in DFAT funding
- October 2019 - Quakers write to government and industry leaders re: climate emergency
- May 2019 - Quakers express concern regarding treatment of Julian Assange
- April 2019 - Quakers urge government to protect children of ISIS fighters in Syria
- February 2019 - INF Treaty withdrawal by US
- January 2019 - Quakers support Labor's decision for Australia to ratify Nuclear Weaapons Ban Treaty
Public Statements 2018
- November 2018 - Quakers query PM over Government's decision not to adopt the Global Compact for Safe Orderly and Regular Migration
- November 2018 - Quakers question Prime Minister over Australian Embassy move to Jerusalem
- July 2018 - Quakers speak out over Government's disregard of the Uluru Statment from the heart
- February 2018 - Quakers Alarmed At Government’s Decision to Increase Arms Trade
- February 2018 - Submission to The Religious Freedom Review